Friday, June 15, 2012

Livening up the front porch

The people who had lived in this house before us left behind some really useful things. A huge box of paints and supplies, old boards, pots, and potting soil. I was taking Jone's on a walk around the block and was inspired by a lady I saw gardening in her yard. I knew I couldn't actually plant a garden since we are just renting, and there isn't much room for one, but I really wanted to liven up the front porch with some plants. I invited Lindsay to come over and we headed out to Meisters Greenhouse to find a few good deals on plants.


I bought all these plants for about 8 dollars. We also tried to dig up a daisy to plant, but that didn't turn out good in the end. Probably because I didn't keep it wet until I planted it. 

Next we stopped at goodwill. I bought a tiny white vase, a square purple pot, a white pot, and a frog decoration for 5 dollars. Then I bought a strawberry plant and lettuce seeds at Walmart for 4 dollars. We already had the left over paint and a few other pots to paint so we headed home and got started. 

Before we got started. 


Lindsay and I set up a card table in the bedroom. We watched netflix and painted our pots.


Our final masterpieces! Lindsay's is on the left, mine is on the right. The smaller ones we got from Goodwill. 





Potato vine. I hope it grows up the railing. -Also my little frog decoration

Strawberry plant


A pretty weed. Eventually I want to plant a few daisies in here. 

Parsley plant

A Wave Petunia. We used to get them for my mom for Mother's Day as kids. 
The plant in front of it Ted got as a gift from someone; I'm not sure what it is.  I also have a tiny square planter that I planted lettuce seeds in. Somehow I managed not to take pictures of those. Once I get markers in them, I'll take more pictures. 

Earlier that day I also found a few cinder blocks and a board that I turned into a bench for the porch. 

For now I just folded a blanket and put that on top as a cushion. eventually I would like to make or buy a cushion for it and then maybe paint the cinder blocks to match. 



We felt so ambitious that we decided to make a shelf for my books as well. I used a piece of an old door frame that I found in the attic. It works well! 


What a productive day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment