Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Simple way to decorate plastic storage drawers

I found this idea on Pinterest months ago, but I never got around to trying it myself. My drawers are shaped funny because the middle part of each drawer juts out. I had to cut individual pieces to fit inside. I think it looks much better and is a great way to conceal what is inside. I didn't have patterned paper so I used colored card stock. I think eventually I will find cute, patterned scrapbook paper from Michael's and re-do them. Anyway, here is how I did it.

BEFORE & AFTER



I recently moved these drawers from my closet into the corner of my bedroom to free up some floor space in the closet. It's now one of the first things you see as you walk into the room, and of course I don't want my underwear to be the first thing someone sees when they walk into the room. Thus, I decided it was time for a makeover.

This was the paper I used for the drawers. It's just colored card stock.  You can  get a pack of it for $4.95 at Walmart

I didn't feel like measuring everything , so I took the lazy way out and just folded each piece of paper until it fit in the spot. Notice how the middle part is a different section from the ends? This is why I had to do mine in sections. 

I unfolded the piece and cut along the fold lines 


Next I chose a green piece of paper and repeated the folding and cutting process. I simply traced the first shape  and cut it out so I would have two, one for each end. 

These are the pieces that go on each end. 

Jones was curious what I was up to. 

His guilty face, because he stole a piece of my paper. I couldn't be mad at him, little cutie. 
These were the pieces I came up with in the end. Next I simply placed them inside the drawers and taped them in place. 

This was the end result. It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it!


Here is a link to the original idea I found on Pinterest. I love the paper she used!
link:  http://jen-simplyliving.blogspot.com/2011/02/plastic-drawer-mini-facelift.html 

1 comment: